Statement following terrorist attack in Reading
A statement on behalf of the Board and the Moderators of the Faith Communities Forum of the Inter Faith Network for the UK
Our thoughts and prayers are with all affected by the terrorist stabbing attack in Reading on Saturday, in which three people were killed by the attacker and others injured, including those who responded to it with such bravery.
We condemn in the strongest possible terms terrorism and extremist ideologies that underpin it.
Let us stand together in resolute resistance to such murderous acts and in solidarity with those who are affected by them.
This weekend is one on which the murder by another violent extremist four years ago of the late Jo Cox MP is remembered. Her words, ‘We have more in common than that which divides us’, have been at the heart of that remembering and have great resonance.
On all that we hold in common, and appreciating also our diversity, let us continue to work together with courage and commitment to develop and strengthen our shared society in ways rooted in, and characterised by, our shared values such as justice, compassion, pursuit of learning and wisdom, respect, and peace.
We close as we began, holding in our thoughts and prayers all those affected by yesterday’s attack.
A statement on behalf of the Board and the Moderators
of the Faith Communities Forum of the Inter Faith Network for the UK
21 June 2020
Notes for editors
- Press queries to the Inter Faith Network: email firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Inter Faith Network for the UK www.interfaith.org.uk was founded in 1987 to advance public knowledge and mutual understanding of the teachings, traditions and practices of the different faith communities in Britain and to promote good relations between people of different faiths in this country. It works with its member bodies and others to carry out these aims.
- Member bodies of the Inter Faith Network include: national faith community representative bodies; national, regional and local inter faith bodies; and academic institutions and educational bodies concerned with inter faith issues. http://www.interfaith.org.uk/members
- This statement can be found at http://interfaith.org.uk/resources/statements-and-messages and a copy of IFN’s statement making policy at https://www.interfaith.org.uk/uploads/Policy_on_making_of_statements.pdf.
- Further information about the Great Get Together can be found at https://www.greatgettogether.org/about/.