COVID-19 Civic engagement and information sharing
Local groups are sharing information about COVID-19 and also helping members and local faith groups to explore aspects of this. Websites are a particularly important resource at this time, alongside social media, emails and WhatsApp.
- Tower Hamlets Inter Faith Forum has added to its website a list of key local links; released a joint statement on 20 March with the President of the East London Central Synagogue, the Leadership of the East London Mosque, the Mayor of Tower Hamlets and the Deputy Mayor about ending public worship in faith buildings due to Coronavirus https://www.faithintowerhamlets.org/2020/03/20/end-public-worship-in-all-our-faith-buildings/; and then on 24 April put out guidance and reflections about handling of funerals and bereavement during COVID-19 & balance with care for safety of the living. https://www.faithintowerhamlets.org/2020/04/24/we-stand-together-in-our-grief/
- Cornwall Faith Forum’s website carries a message from its Chair and numerous helpful links and a list of faith leaders. https://dorkemmyn.org.uk/covid19/
- Barnet Multi Faith Forum has a dedicated webpage on Pandemic Support which includes links to available local support, government guidance, and guidance from faith communities. http://barnetmultifaithforum.org/home/pandemic-support/
- Bolton Interfaith Council has compiled and published information from local faith groups in Bolton that are working to provide support and help during this crisis. http://www.boltoninterfaithcouncil.org.uk/BICupdate7_4_2020.pdf The group is also sharing regular updates from faith communities and the local council on social media.
- Building Bridges in Burnley have been sharing messages from local churches, the county council and other local community networks in light of the pandemic on their website and social media.
- Faiths Together in Lambeth have posted advice from the NHS on their website.
- As part of Dying Matters Week, Building Bridges Pendle held a community conversation about end of life and bereavement during COVID-19 on 13 May, in partnership with Pendleside Hospice. https://www.facebook.com/buildingbridgespendle/posts/1786873294785992
- In their April-May 2020 newsletter, Hounslow Friends of Faith posted information about help and support available in Hounslow Borough during the pandemic. https://www.hounslowfriendsoffaith.org/newsletters/HFOF_Newsletter_April_2020.pdf
- Hull and East Riding Interfaith have a dedicated webpage for 'Sources of Help in Hull and East Riding during the coronavirus outbreak' on their website. https://heri-online.org/sources-of-help-in-hull-and-east-riding-during-the-corona-virus-outbreak/
- Interfaith Wolverhampton have listed local gurdwaras who are providing meals to vulnerable people during the current Coronavirus crisis on their website, as well as a message from the Chair regarding the situation. http://ifwton.org.uk/latest-articles.html
- Worcestershire Interfaith Forum released a statement on Faith Communities and COVID-19 on 5 May. https://www.facebook.com/1439493992728562/photos/a.2283413551669931/3211191255558818/?type=3&theater
- Watford Interfaith Association have listed a number of online religious services taking place in Watford during Lockdown. http://www.wifa.org.uk/covid-19-lockdown-information/
- Barnet Multi Faith Forum, in collaboration with Middlesex University, have produced a video to highlight the ways in which local faith groups in Barnet have been supporting the community during the Coronavirus pandemic. https://www.mdx.ac.uk/news/2020/05/barnet-multi-faith-COVID-19
- Luton Council of Faiths have shared lockdown activities as well as mental health guidance on their website. They have also produced documents on mental health with useful tips for those working from home. https://www.facebook.com/groups/LutonFaiths/permalink/2617577445014527/
- Oldham Inter Faith Forum have a range of information available on their website regarding Coronavirus and related faith matters. http://oldhaminterfaith.org.uk/
- Redbridge Faith Forum have posted the latest advice and information from the Government regarding new measures to stop the spread of coronavirus. https://redbridgefaithforum.org/
- Tower Hamlets Inter Faith Forum have published a joint statement with Tower Hamlets Council and Public Health on the re-opening of places of worship for private prayer. https://www.faithintowerhamlets.org/2020/06/09/thiff-tower-hamlets-council-public-health-joint-statement-re-opening-of-places-of-worship/
Last updated: 16/06/20
Note: IFN's pages on COVID-19 are being updated regularly. Listings may not be exhaustive or include all possible examples, and IFN makes no guarantee as to the accurary of information linked to.